Graco is voluntarily recalling its Classic Wood Highchairs after reports of children falling from the chairs, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Tuesday afternoon.
So far, Graco has received 58 reports of the highchair seats loosening or detaching from the base. In nine reported cases, children have fallen from the highchairs as the seat separated from the base of the chair. The kids have suffered bumps, bruises and scratches, and at least one child in Canada suffered a concussion as a result of a fall from the highchair.
About 86,000 highchairs in the U.S. and 3,400 in Canada are being recalled by Graco, in cooperation with the CPSC and Health Canada.
If you own one of these chairs, stop using it immediately. (It's also illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product, the release from the CPSC reminds.)
Here's more important information on the recall from the CPSC:
Description: This recall involves all Graco brand Classic Wood Highchairs sold in three wood finishes. The high chair has a top seat, bottom leg assembly and removable tray. The high chair is sold with a beige fabric seat cover. Model number 3C00BPN, 3C00BPN TC, 3C00CHY, 3C00CHY TC, 3C00CPO or 3C00CPO TC is printed on a label on the underside of the seat assembly.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled high chairs and contact Graco for a free repair kit.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Graco at (800) 345-4109 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday and, or visit the firm's website at www.gracobaby.com
More from Vitals:
By msnbc.com staff
Diamond Pet Foods is expanding a voluntary recall to include puppy food over possible salmonella contamination, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The latest recall, announced Monday, covers Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods in Gaston, S.C. The puppy food was distributed in the following 12 states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
This is the third voluntary recall for the company this month. On April 6, the company recalled Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice dry dog food made over possible salmonella contamination. On April 26, the company expanded the recall to its Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light formula dry dog food.
So far, no dog illnesses have been reported, the FDA said.
Pets infected with salmonella can become lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting, according to the FDA. Infected pets can also pass the illness on to other animals or humans. Pet owners also can contract the illness from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after handling the pet food.
For more information about the recall, see www.diamondpetrecall.com.
The ShoulderFlex massager was recalled this summer following the death of one woman, but it is still available for sale at some online sites.
If you think you’ve found the perfect gift for Grandma, and it happens to be a ShoulderFlex massager, buy her something else quick. It turns out to be a device that can lull users into a relaxed state -- and then strangle them.
The Food and Drug Administration issued an alert on Wednesday warning that hair and necklaces can get caught in the massager and cause strangulation. One person has died and another nearly did, according to the FDA.
Dr. Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson, a 37-year-old Florida woman, was found dead by her husband last Christmas Eve after her leather necklace got tangled in the device, reported the Miami Herald.
“The ShoulderFlex Massager poses serious risks,” said Steve Silverman, director of the Office of Compliance in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, in a statement. “Consumers should stop using this device, health care providers should not recommend it to their patients and businesses should stop distributing and selling the device.”
The device was recalled in August, but the manufacturer, King International, went out of business and the FDA discovered that it didn’t properly alert stores that sell the massager. A quick Internet search reveals that the product is still available at several online web sites.
The FDA is so concerned about the device that it recommends not just throwing it away, but dismantling it before you do so that no one else could ever use it. “The massage fingers should be removed and disposed of separately from the device,” according to the alert. “The power supply should be disposed of separately, as well.”